Welcome to Virtual Laboratory: Oscillations
(Developed and maintained by: Satyajit Banerjee, Pabitra Mandal and Gorky Shaw)
Our purpose is to give an overall idea about the phenomena of oscillations through virtual experiments.
Beginning with demonstration of Simple Harmonic Motion with simple pendulum (without and with damping), we move on to further examples (LC, LCR circuits etc) where we can see the application of these phenomena. This is followed by simple demonstration of advanced topics, resonance and coupled oscillations (using LCR circuit) and nonlinear oscillations (without and with damping).
To run the programs, you must first download and install the ‘LabVIEW Runtime Engine’ and the ‘IMAQ Vision Runtime Engine’ which can be downloaded from the links below. The runtime engines need to be downloaded and installed only once.
On the respective pages of each virtual experiment, direct download links are provided so that you can download the executable file for the experiment and run the program on your computer locally Offline.
Demonstrations of how to run the programs are provided as videos on each of the respective experiment pages.
The videos are in ‘.avi’ format. It is recommended that you download and watch the demonstration videos before performing the virtual experiments.
You may also need to install Java Runtime software (also provided) in order to properly display the contents on this website.
‘KMPlayer’ which may be required for playing the videos is also provided below.
- Also, you must download ‘vlab.zip’. Download the vlab.zip file to "C:" drive. Then unzip it. This will create a folder named "vlab" inside "C:". Keep the folder ‘vlab’ inside ‘C:’ drive, nowhere else. This will be essential for running the downloaded version of the experiments, offline. To download, click on 'vlab.zip’ above.
Procedure for installing the runtime engines:
- To download the Runtime Engines, right click on the corresponding link and choose ‘save target as’, or, ‘save link as’ depending on the browser.
- Save the ‘.zip’ file to any directory on your PC.
- Extract the contents of the .zip file to any folder.
- Double click on the file ’setup.exe’ and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- A step-by-step on-screen instructions set for successfully installing the Runtime Engines is provided at the following link:
Please feel free to send your feedback, suggestions or queries regarding the portal to:
In your email, please mention the experiment no. and name of the experiment as applicable.